Memory & Dementia Care
We believe that those who are living with Alzheimer's and other dementias can experience a life worth living by honoring the whole person and supporting independence and quality of life. We also believe that loved ones can maintain a connection with those who have cognitive loss through our person-centered, elder-directed approach and our validation communication methods as taught in our dementia training program, Madeline’s Song.
We believe that music can nourish the spirit, improve cognition, reduce anxiety, and bring joy and happiness. We have seen remarkable results through our iPod Program.
Our detailed service plans help us determine support needed for daily living and life enrichment opportunities to nourish the spirit, stimulate the mind, and strengthen the body. We tailor services to each individual, according to their preferences and lifestyle.
Avalon's memory care setting includes two cottages, each with eight rooms surrounding a main living area. This small, homelike setting helps to avoid overstimulation and promote social interaction. Nestled off of Fish Hatchery Road by an orchard, our cottages are situated in a peaceful and natural environment. Trips and outings on our bus provides opportunities to continue to connect with the greater Madison community.
Benefits of a community-based memory care setting include:
- Cottages secured with keypad entry to minimize risk of wandering
- 24-hour caregiver in each building
- Made-from-scratch meals served family style to promote interaction
- Socialization with other residents, pet therapy visits, and gardening on secured patios, plus regularly scheduled outings
- Life enrichment calendar designed specifically for memory care residents, plus opportunities to participate in all activities within the Avalon community
- Diet and exercise monitoring by our RN, who oversees the health and wellness of each resident
- Ongoing communication with family and health care providers
- Opportunities for families to focus on spending quality and joyful times with their loved ones